You are healthier than you think you are. Mindset and behavior.
I’ve noticed how life seems to ebb and flow as priorities and demands shift from year to year, and sometimes more frequently than that. Many years ago, after watching someone drift out of their fitness routine, and then re-engage weeks later, I asked him why he would do this to himself? There’s nothing worse than starting over again from a point of diminished fitness. He mentioned to me how we had three areas of our lives that demanded a lot of attention:
Fitness/Health, Business/Financial, and Family/Spiritual.
He said that each of these elements is present in some form, every day of our lives, and together, comprise 100% of your being. I thought about this for a second and agreed. When the demands of one area dominate the other two, there is some suffering. The point he was trying to make is that this is natural and to be expected. Recognizing and acknowledging what is going on is vitally important to be able to give increased attention and focus to the area of need.
- Important components of Your Success:
- Acknowledge the situation.
- Set clear goals for completion and disengagement.
- Focus on yourself, avoid comparisons to others around you.
- Perform maintenance on the areas of less priority.
- Be good to yourself. Champion your successes. Focus forward.
If you are feeling that one area of your life is significantly lacking, feel free to re-prioritize. Make a list of a decision you need to make with the positives on one side, and potential negatives on the other. Weigh it, and move forward. You may come to the realization that it’s not worth worrying about after all.
Remember, you can’t be all things at all times. It’s not sustainable, and won’t make you satisfied at the end of the day. To achieve anything of significance it takes valuable resources: time and energy, of which we only have so much.
- Entrepreneur: you are an expert in business, seek help in fitness and spirituality (coaches and advisors).
- Athlete: you are an expert in sport and fitness, seek help in the other areas (mentors and advisors).
- Mindfulness / Family Caregiver: you are an expert in family, seek help in the other areas (coaches and advisors).
Do a quick analysis of what your motivation in each of these three areas is and use that information to move forward and assess your success in life.
You are healthier than you think you are! Prioritize, and optimize to refresh your mindset and behavior!